Thursday, April 11, 2019

Is It Really "All About Me"?


For a very long time, I have corrected my children (now all adults) when they put themselves first in a list of people, as in “Me, Bob, and Susie.” It was drilled into me through decades of English classes that we always put ourselves last in such cases. “Bob, Susie, and me!” I would insist. It does feel like a losing battle, though. And when you look at our culture you can see why: this “error” is part of the vernacular.

I’m going to engage is some very amateur psychology – or sociology, or even theology - here, so feel free to take my proposition with a grain of salt. We can point to the failed “self-esteem” efforts in schools that resulted in participation trophies and contributed to poor grades. I suggest that the focus in our society on self and selfishness has infiltrated our language, and I would argue that much of this is due to our abandonment of God. Yes, God. The bible speaks clearly on this subject:

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.”
-          Philippians 2:3-4

Does this not go against everything we hear today – in conversation, on social media, on television? I swear that every other commercial I see says they have something I “deserve.” (I guess advertising has never really changed, has it?)

I think the world would be a better place – and pretty quickly, too – if we just followed the admonition to put others before ourselves. Maybe forcing ourselves to say “Bob, Susie and me” would remind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment